The National Disability Awards are part of the Australian Government’s celebration of International Day of People with Disability, which occurs on 3 December each year.
“The awards this year come at an exciting time for people in the disability sector,” Mr Shorten said.
“The launch of the National Disability Insurance Scheme in mid-2013, a year ahead of the Productivity Commission’s timetable, will deliver a huge practical and day-to-day difference to the lives of people living with disabilities, their carers, and their families.
“As we move forward, we want to acknowledge the magnificent work that is done each day to make positive differences in the lives of people with disability.”
People of Maribyrnong can nominate a person or organisation they know in one of the following categories:
- The Minister’s Award for Excellence in Disability Reform
- Emerging Leaders Award
- Excellence in Accessible Communities Award
- Excellence in Improving Social Participation Award
- Excellence in Advocacy & Rights Promotion Award
- Excellence in Improving Employment Opportunities Award
- Excellence in Improving Personal and Community Support Award
- Excellence in Improving Education Outcomes Award
- Excellence in Improving Health Outcomes Award
Nominations close 20 July 2012. Award recipients will be announced at a gala dinner at the National Gallery of Australia in Canberra on 28 November 2012.
The annual event aims to build awareness of disability issues and of the important role people with disability have in their local communities, their country and internationally.
To nominate for the National Disability Awards, go to www.idpwd.com.au or call 1800 440 385, TTY users please call 1800 555 677 and ask for 1800 440 385.
Suburbs in the Maribyrnong electorate include: Aberfeldie, Airport West, Albion, Avondale Heights, Brooklyn (part), Essendon, Essendon North, Essendon West, Kealba, Keilor East, Keilor Park, Maribyrnong (part), Moonee Ponds, Niddrie, St Albans (part), Sunshine, Sunshine North and Tullamarine (part).