Labor is today releasing its positive plan for Queensland.
Queenslanders deserve a Federal Government that invests in local jobs and improves living standards.
Labor has a plan to build the job-creating infrastructure that will create jobs and drive the Queensland economy for the next generation.
The projects we’re backing will create local jobs for local people – and guarantee a start for more apprentices.
We will help small businesses grow with our New Jobs Tax Cut, so more Queenslanders can fulfil their potential in the workforce.
Labor will stand up for Queensland families, protecting Medicare from the Turnbull Government’s plans to cut it, undermine it and privatise it.
We have developed more than 100 positive policies for Queensland families.
A Shorten Labor Government will:
- Invest in infrastructure projects including $100 million towards building a first class Townsville Stadium in partnership with the Queensland Labor Government, and $800 million towards the Brisbane Cross River Rail Project, which will create 8,000 new local jobs, including 800 apprenticeships.
- Commit $418 million to improve road safety, create more than 1,000 jobs and boost productivity for North and Central Queenslanders, including $80 million for the Gladstone Port Access Road and $150 million for the Walkerston Bypass.
- Implement our Great Barrier Reef Plan, which will be supported by a fund of $500 million over five years.
- Allocate $1 billion from the Northern Australia Infrastructure Facility to a Northern Australian Tourism Infrastructure Fund, to boost partnerships with the tourism sector and provide incentives for investment in new and upgraded tourism infrastructure across Queensland north of the Tropic of Capricorn, as well as in Gladstone.
- Double the number of Indigenous rangers employed under the Indigenous Rangers – Working on Country Program, boosting jobs and environmental stewardship in remote areas.
- Deliver a New Jobs Tax Cut for Queensland small businesses, encouraging employers to offer people aged under 25 a first opportunity and workers over 55 a second chance.
- Fight to protect penalty rates for some of Queensland’s lowest paid workers.
- Protect Medicare – Labor will reverse the Liberals’ freeze on the Medicare Benefits Schedule, meaning an average family with two children in Queensland will be $400 a year better off.
- Invest in hospitals – Labor will increase funding for Queensland hospitals. Hospitals in Queensland can expect to receive about $400 million more over the next four years than they would under the Liberals.
- Deliver child care support that is faster, fairer and more affordable – many of the 134,000 families in Queensland who rely on the Child Care Rebate will be up to $1,627 a year better off.
- Invest in our nation’s schools including $725 million more in targeted, needs based funding for Queensland schools in 2018 and 2019.
These are just some of our positive policies for Queensland.
This election, there is a clear choice for Queenslanders.
Malcolm Turnbull and the Liberals will cut local schools and destroy Medicare, while recklessly spending $50 billion on a tax break for banks and big business.
A Shorten Labor Government will save Medicare, improve schools, invest in job-creating infrastructure and protect middle and working class families.
For more information on Labor’s plan for Queensland, visit http://www.100positivepolicies.org.au/labors_positive_plan_for_queensland
SATURDAY, 25 JUNE 2016